Bloody Omaha: My Remembrances of That Day (Paperback, Fall - 2010) by James Robert Copeland, S/SGT., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion
I remember receiving sniper fire from above in a similar scene as pictured here -- none of us thought we'd make it. I did make it and here is my story.
It begins from my childhood in West Virginia, where my family and my family's family, worked in the coal mines.
When war broke out (Pearl Harbor), I enlisted in the Army and became Army Ranger -- fighting that fateful day, on the bloodiest beach, June 6th, 1944.


As a home health aid my wife Linda discovered James Robert Copeland. Linda and I were surprised with his energy, his vitality and his story. It didn't take much conversation to convince him of the importance of recording his story for posterity. We had several interviews over the past year and each time JR (as Ranger Copeland likes to be called), reminded me he felt his time was running out. He wanted me to hurry in my writing so he could see the finished book.
JR Copeland will be 89 years old this year. There has never been a time when I didn't find him cordial, informative and quite lucid in his conversation. Hopefully JR will see his story published -- this man is a magnanimous individual, besides being a war hero. I hope my writing does justice to his great story.
--garry m graves, biographer

Monday, May 16, 2011

Email from a Reader…

In early April I received an email from someone who had purchased ‘Bloody Omaha’ in the eBook version. They reported reading it on one of them ‘new-fangled’ Amazon Kindle eReaders. HeHe! Two things surprised me: 1) it was the first email coming to my own address – ‘rangerJRCopeland at gmail dot com’ and 2) it was such a nice letter praising the book and congratulating me on my service…I just had to post it here so you could share in my joy. (I asked permission from the writer of the email to let me post it on the blog).

Here it is…

  Ranger Copeland:  My name is Randall Seely; I'm retired U.S. Air Force, having retired in 1986.  My father, Col. Donald Seely (US Army retired) swore me into the AF in 1965 on his birthday.  He served proudly in Europe during the war, as did you.
  I just completed your book (on Kindle), and found it fascinating.  Next year, my wife and I are taking another cruise (our 13th), sailing from Southampton, England to Ft Lauderdale, Fla, by way of Le Havre, France...Vigo, Spain...Lisbon, Portugal...the Azores, Portugal...
Bermuda...and finally, off the ship at Ft Lauderdale. 
  The high point of our trip will be Le Havre, which will give us the opportunity to visit Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery.  As a child, I lived in France for 3 years, as my father was stationed there; you will understand, of course, it had little meaning to me as a child.  However, thanks to my avid interest in WWII and the sacrifices made by brave men such as you, I will visit the region with incredible gratitude; I'd visited the Cemetery in 1957 without realizing what I was experiencing.
  You, sir, are an American Hero. I appreciate what you did at Omaha Beach...and will do everything I can to explain to MY grandchildren the sacrifices made by great soldiers such as you.  Your book is inspirational...it's educational...and it 'brings home' what patriotism is all about!
  Ranger Copeland...and I wish you well.  Thank you for your service...your dedication...and your wisdom into what sacrifices are made by great Americans who are forced into war.
  From one Veteran to another...I salute you!
Best wishes,  
Randall Seely
USAF Retired

When Garry printed off Mr. Seely’s email and brought it to me I was surprised beyond belief. It was sure a nice letter and a very nice thing for Mr. Seely to do. I replied to Mr. Seely, who is retired military, with my heartfelt thanks for his service to our country AND his father’s service too.

I’m glad to have made the acquaintance of this fine man.

Respectfully, James Robert Copeland - S/Sgt., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion, WWII Survivor.

1 comment: