Bloody Omaha: My Remembrances of That Day (Paperback, Fall - 2010) by James Robert Copeland, S/SGT., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion
I remember receiving sniper fire from above in a similar scene as pictured here -- none of us thought we'd make it. I did make it and here is my story.
It begins from my childhood in West Virginia, where my family and my family's family, worked in the coal mines.
When war broke out (Pearl Harbor), I enlisted in the Army and became Army Ranger -- fighting that fateful day, on the bloodiest beach, June 6th, 1944.


As a home health aid my wife Linda discovered James Robert Copeland. Linda and I were surprised with his energy, his vitality and his story. It didn't take much conversation to convince him of the importance of recording his story for posterity. We had several interviews over the past year and each time JR (as Ranger Copeland likes to be called), reminded me he felt his time was running out. He wanted me to hurry in my writing so he could see the finished book.
JR Copeland will be 89 years old this year. There has never been a time when I didn't find him cordial, informative and quite lucid in his conversation. Hopefully JR will see his story published -- this man is a magnanimous individual, besides being a war hero. I hope my writing does justice to his great story.
--garry m graves, biographer

Thursday, November 25, 2010

‘Fighting and forgetting . . .’

JRArmyPic1942

  Here’s a picture of me in 1942. Don’t remember whether I was in California or Alabama, training to become a soldier and finally a US Army Ranger crashing the beaches of Omaha in France.

  Was probably around 20 years old then and full of p**s and vinegar as they say. You had to be tough physically, but even tougher in your mind. Being away from home and preparing for war sometimes makes you think if you’ll ever return to normal times. Each soldier had his own way of coping with his feelings . . . and their were some who just knew they were going to die.

  Not me. If it happened, it happened. It was something that never occupied my mind a lot. When seeing some soldier all wrapped up in his worry about such as this, I would make a point of ridding his concerns and doubts by starting a fight.

  It worked well most of the time as I loved to fight and was pretty good at it.

  Sometimes, my match was met when I got the s**t kicked out of me. But . . . the fight served its purpose and they quickly forgot all about their plight.

  Men at war are different people. Have to be. War is hell.

  Be sure this Thanksgiving to think about all the soldiers.

  Respectfully, JR’ Copeland

S/Sgt., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion, WWII (Survivor)

2 comments:

  1. thank you so very much, it is my honor to have found out about you, i am looking foward to buying your book . and i wouild like to meet you. your story is very inportant to me and many others, thank you again. i wouldn;t have my life and freedom if it wasn;t for men like you, for that i;ll always be indebted to all of you. god bless. walter siekierka-milford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Walter Siekierka of Milford, Michigan.

    Sorry for this late response to your comment to the November 25th post of Ranger Copeland.

    First, THANK YOU for commenting, JR' appreciates each and every comment or inquiry from his reading audience.

    Secondly, JR' wished me to convey to you that he as well would like to meet you. After all, your right next door, almost, in Milford. You can call JR' at this number 248 446 5894. Be sure and mention that you are a reader of his 'blog' and that Garry said it would be okay to phone you. This should begin the process of a personal visit, if you so desire.

    Again, Thanks.
    Garry M Graves, Biographer

    ReplyDelete