Bloody Omaha: My Remembrances of That Day (Paperback, Fall - 2010) by James Robert Copeland, S/SGT., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion
I remember receiving sniper fire from above in a similar scene as pictured here -- none of us thought we'd make it. I did make it and here is my story.
It begins from my childhood in West Virginia, where my family and my family's family, worked in the coal mines.
When war broke out (Pearl Harbor), I enlisted in the Army and became Army Ranger -- fighting that fateful day, on the bloodiest beach, June 6th, 1944.


As a home health aid my wife Linda discovered James Robert Copeland. Linda and I were surprised with his energy, his vitality and his story. It didn't take much conversation to convince him of the importance of recording his story for posterity. We had several interviews over the past year and each time JR (as Ranger Copeland likes to be called), reminded me he felt his time was running out. He wanted me to hurry in my writing so he could see the finished book.
JR Copeland will be 89 years old this year. There has never been a time when I didn't find him cordial, informative and quite lucid in his conversation. Hopefully JR will see his story published -- this man is a magnanimous individual, besides being a war hero. I hope my writing does justice to his great story.
--garry m graves, biographer

Saturday, October 9, 2010

‘Lead the Way — Rangers’

btn5diamondopt

  This shoulder patch was worn by all of us Army Rangers who fought in WWII. We were a different breed of soldier and I was glad to be one of the select few.

  The Ranger was a one-in-ten soldier. For every 10 soldier’s who volunteered only one survived the rigors of Ranger training. Many thought of us as a group of misfits, former convicts, super athletes or a bunch of ‘tough guys.’ We were tough alright, we had to be, but the only real difference from Rangers and other soldiers was our spirit. We never gave up on a training exercise. We all believed in the team and our abilities to complete the assignment no matter the difficulties or extreme the task at hand. Ranger esprit do corps distinguished us from other soldiers.

Horn-2

Army Rangers were made up of high school teachers, lawyers, plumbers and guys like me, a coal miner. We knew how difficult our job was going to be. It’s probably why the US Army selected the best of all soldiers available, because of what we had to do. We trained in water and on mountain cliffs. We trained at night and ran hundred’s of miles. We were trained to street fight with knives. They trained us for every combat situation.

That’s why I’m so proud to be a US Army Ranger.

Respectfully, James Robert Copeland, S/Sgt. 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion, WWII, (survivor).

Congratulations to all Rangers who will be participating in the Ranger Battalion Association held in Columbus, Georgia, this month. I wish I could have made it this year, maybe next time. And, don’t forget our fallen band of brothers. –JR’

No comments:

Post a Comment