Bloody Omaha: My Remembrances of That Day (Paperback, Fall - 2010) by James Robert Copeland, S/SGT., 5th Ranger Infantry Battalion
I remember receiving sniper fire from above in a similar scene as pictured here -- none of us thought we'd make it. I did make it and here is my story.
It begins from my childhood in West Virginia, where my family and my family's family, worked in the coal mines.
When war broke out (Pearl Harbor), I enlisted in the Army and became Army Ranger -- fighting that fateful day, on the bloodiest beach, June 6th, 1944.


As a home health aid my wife Linda discovered James Robert Copeland. Linda and I were surprised with his energy, his vitality and his story. It didn't take much conversation to convince him of the importance of recording his story for posterity. We had several interviews over the past year and each time JR (as Ranger Copeland likes to be called), reminded me he felt his time was running out. He wanted me to hurry in my writing so he could see the finished book.
JR Copeland will be 89 years old this year. There has never been a time when I didn't find him cordial, informative and quite lucid in his conversation. Hopefully JR will see his story published -- this man is a magnanimous individual, besides being a war hero. I hope my writing does justice to his great story.
--garry m graves, biographer

Monday, July 26, 2010

My Harley Flathead Motorcycle...what good times I had. JR Copeland

  This is a picture of a 1937 Harley 'Flathead' motorcycle. I owned one of these baby's back in '38 -- bought it from a guy who had just come out of the bank building. I asked the stranger, "You wanna sell that there motorcycle?" He said yes, so I went in that same bank and got some money and paid him right there. It took 10 minutes to settle the deal.
  After the stranger showed me how to get it started, my buddy and I loaded it in my ice delivery truck, and headed home. 'Cept I couldn't wait to ride it so we stopped on the way home and unloaded the Flathead. I forgot how to start it from the stranger showing me so my buddy and I pushed it to a downhill, I jumped on, gaver the gas and kicked it in gear. Wow! It took off like a bullet, loud as hell...must have been 'doin-a-hundurd' at the bottom of that hill. It was my first motorcycle and I loved it quite a bit.  Ranger JR' Copeland
This is a picture of me on my '37 Harley Flathead

1 comment:

  1. You definitely got yourself a good deal in a matter of 10 minutes! And it seems that Harley certainly came a long way in terms of their motorcycle lines. Longevity is definitely one word that describes their bikes. Like some vintage cars, most of these bikes are still running on the road and giving their owner an incredible riding experience!

    ReplyDelete